Local Moving Checklist
See our local moving checklist below if you are preparing to move locally. If you moving from your present home:
- Call in advance so that the new owner can set up service. Have the bills forwarded to your new address.
- Have your utility bills paid off an $0.00 balanced. Retain all receipts.
- Arrange for the pool, alarm, ground maintenance service providers contracts to be transferred to the purchaser.
- Disconnect your telephone, cable TV.
- Hand over all keys to the house that you are moving out of.
- Have your telephone, cable TV and other utilities disconnected.
- Arrange to have electricity, water, telephone, internet and cable TV connected on the day the sale closes.
- If your children will be attending a new school, it is a good idea to do a dry run from your new home to the school in the morning when there is traffic so you can estimate the amount of time it would take to drop off your children before work on a morning. That way you are not late for work or the children are not late for school the first week.
- Get change at the post office if you do not have a Post Office Box.
- Change your address with financial institutions and debtors.
- Cancel contracted services and pre-authorized cheques.
- Change the address on your driver’s license effective the day of your move.
- Collect all items out for cleaning or repair or in storage.
- Remember that when moving plants you have to plan ahead or you can destroy them.
- Don’t forget to make arrangements to move your pets.
- Prepare file/package of user manuals & warranties for the new owners for all the appliances.